TheraSuit is one of the most effective and modern therapy for neurological patients. Lay people call it "suit therapy", "cage therapy" or "space therapy".
TheraSuit Method is an intensive physical exercise "tailored" to the client. The exercise is performed in a "cage", where we can set the client in different positions and strengthen the selected muscle groups. Thanks to this relief, the client can experience independent movement. The TheraSuit method offers even non-walking individuals the opportunity to experience what it is like to "stand on own two feet for the first time". The program includes a special TheraSuit, which – during therapy – forms an external support skeleton for patients with neurological disorders. It optimizes posture, which in turn allows the client to learn the correct movement patterns. The outfit was developed for children from 2.5 years to adulthood.
About the method, indications, contraindications
The method was patented in 2002 by Richard and Izabela Koscielny in the USA. Both are enthusiastic physiotherapists, parents of a child with DMO and also owners of Therasuit LLC company. The original TheraSuits are made in the USA and distributed by the above mentioned company all over the world.
The special suit and method were developed thanks to Russian scientists, who researched ways to prevent damage to the locomotor system of the astronauts (muscle atrophy, osteoporosis) caused by reduced gravity during long space travels. After improving the method in Michigan, a new therapy was created - "space suit"
The special suit functions as a semi-dynamic "orthosis" that is strong and, at the same time, flexible, without restricting breathing. It offers relief and fixation, thus enabling therapy in a vertical position. The client is not only a passive recipient, but an active element participating in the therapy.
The goal of therapy is the reduction of persistent pathological reflexes and the creation and fixation of physiological muscle synergies (new, correct movement patterns). Muscle imbalances are also caused by deficits in proprioception (pressure perception at the level of muscles, joints and tendons). Information from these basal receptors is processed by the vestibular system and the response is evaluated. Based on the identified deficits, the therapy corrects muscle tone, spatial posture and balance.
is a soft, proprioceptive suit, providing elastic support for clients with neurological disorders. It consists of a hat, vest, shorts, knee pads and specially adapted footwear. The individual parts of the suit are interconnected by elastic bands. Using a system of elastic bands, the client's body is placed as close to the normal position as possible. It ensures the activation and relaxation of targeted muscle groups, while precise adjustment and simulation of muscle contractions under the guidance of an experienced physiotherapist is necessary.
Universal Excercise Unit (UEU)
universal exercise unit "in a cage" with flexible ropes allows positioning of the client, his stabilization in sitting and standing, exercises on the bed, walking on a belt, etc. The cage includes rails extending the possibilities of exercise variability.
TheraSuit therapy procedure
- Warm-up exercises and deep tissue massage
- Stress reduction, sensory integration techniques
- Neuromobilization of the upper and lower limbs
- Reduction of pathological movement stereotypes
- Practicing and strengthening of new physiological stereotypes
- Fixation of motion patterns by quantification
- Static and dynamic stabilization of the musculoskeletal system
- Balance exercises, practice of walking and self-sufficiency
Benefits of TheraSuit therapy
- Provides deep proprioception
- Re-strengthens / resets CNS
- Restores ontogenetic development
- tonic flexion
- activation of core muscles necessary for stabilization
- Provides external activation of muscles for stabilization
- Normalizes muscle tonus
- Restores centre of gravity
- Reduces hypertonicity
- Activates postural muscles
- Activates postural muscles
- Changes biomechanical position
- Provides dynamic correction
- Corrects stereosis coordination
- Affects uncontrolled atactic, athetic and dystonic movements
- Improves awareness of own body and (its position in) space
- Supports head and torso control
- Helps increase bone density through dynamic muscle activity
- Develops orofacial muscle and oromotor system - muscle groups enabling unique, specifically human function, which is speech